Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Chilren's Books Including Family Members Who Have Had a Stroke

A long time ago, I mentioned in class two books that included family members who had experienced a stroke. In one book the grandparent got better and in the other book, the grandparent did not. I finally got the titles of those books. I'm not sure which is which.
"Now One Foot, Now the Other"--Tomie Depaloa
"The Two of Them"--Aliki
Even though it's hard to explain these things to our students or children, I think it's worse to think that they can't handle it. Jussy explains this well in "Confessions of a Closet Catholic", "I mean they're so worried about trying to protect us kids from knowing scary stuff, they don't seem to realize that we can tell when they're lying, and it makes us even more scared" (76). My mom said that by reading these books to her students, the students who was experiencing this at that time understood better what was going on and wasn't as scared. My mom was worried that the parents of the student wouldn't like that she had read these books, but the parents thanked her.

No comments:

Post a Comment